The Aftermath of St Jude: Making an Insurance Claim

The Aftermath of St Jude: Making an Insurance Claim
Date of Publication: Tuesday, 29 October 2013 11:18

The trail of destruction wreaked by yesterday's storm has left thousands across the south of England with damage to their properties and vehicles.


Around a quarter of a million homes lost power, while commuters struggled to get into work as transport networks were affected by falling trees and cable damage.


But what’s the first port of call if you have experienced damage as a result of the storm?


Contact Your Insurer

It’s advisable to get in touch with your relevant insurers as soon as possible, rather than waiting to assess the full extent of any damage. It will be useful if you are able to refer to your insurance documents at the time.


It is also good practice to consult your insurer before hiring contractors to carry out repairs on your home or vehicle as they may have additional advice relating to your policy.


Insurers can also help if you need to be relocated to alternative accommodation while repairs are carried out.


Flood Damage

If you are able to disconnect your power supplies at the mains without endangering yourself, do so as soon as possible.


The flooding could be sustained by further heavy rainfall, so keep emergency supplies and valuables upstairs.


The council can provide basic flood protection, such as sandbags, to help to reduce the risk of further damage.


Home insurance, business insurance, and most comprehensive vehicle insurance policies should cover damage inflicted by flooding.


Structural Damage

If you have incurred structural damage, your buildings insurance will usually cover the cost before claiming this back from the proprietor of the source (if applicable). If a tree has fallen from a neighbour's garden, for example, your insurer is likely to retrieve the cost from your neighbour's insurer.


Structural damage to vehicles as a result of storms will only be covered through comprehensive policies rather than more limited third-party policies.


Gather Evidence

Providing evidence of the damage is useful when making a claim to your insurer.


Where possible, gather pictures and/or recordings as early as possible to demonstrate the damage at its worst. This is especially useful if your claim is likely to be a substantial one.


And if contractors or alternative accommodation are required as a result of storm damage, remember to demand and retain receipts. This will make it much easier for insurers to cover the costs involved.


Keith McDonald
Which4U Editor


If you enjoyed this article:

Tuesday, 29 October 2013 11:18
Bookmark and Share

Make a comment on this article

Please enter the following letters in the box below.
We're very sorry for this but we just need to ensure
that you are not a computer.

Top 5 Car Insurance Providers

No Claims Discount
Online Discount
View Full Table >
24 hour accident recovery
up to 65%
Up to £1000 in-car equipment cover
up to 70%
up to 25%
Repairs guaranteed for 5 years
up to 76%
Specialist Drivers Insurance for people aged 17 - 24
up to 70%
Guaranteed courtesy car as standard
up to 70%

Top 5 Home Insurance Providers

View Full Table >
Home insurance from £83 a year.
Unlimited buildings sum insured for eligible properties
up to 35%
20% discount when you apply online
up to 0%
New for old replacement on your contents
up to 30%
Policy Expert compares top insurance brands to find the best quote for you.
up to 46%