Leeds building society was originally established in 1875 under the trading name Leeds and Holbeck building Society. It is currently ranked as the 8th largest building society in the UK, serving around 650,000 customers. It was renamed Leeds Building Society in September 2005 and merged with Mercantile Building Society in August 2006. It currently has 70 branches throughout the United Kingdom, with 29 located in Yorkshire, with one branch in Gibraltar. Its head office is located on The Headrow in Leeds City Centre and is a member of the Building Societies Association.
In July 2006 Leeds Building Society was voted Best Building Society by an independent panel representing Mortgage Magazine.
The Society now offers a range of financial products which include mortgages, savings accounts, credit cards, insurance and financial planning. The Society is currently helping over 70,000 individuals, couples and families to buy a home, and is offering its savers greater value products and services.